Saturday, February 26, 2011

Alchemy and Magic of Creating

The secret to a rich life is to have more beginnings than endings - Dave Weinbaum

Everytime I create a batch of luscious lotion or a batch of relax...honey scrub or any other product I am playing with magic.  Last week I got to use a new tool, my Ninja Pro blender. 

As I waited for my oils to heat, I poured in the de-ionized full moon water and the other ingredients and watched a new world being created in this beautiful new tool of mine.  I was filled with anticipation as to how it will work. Will the lotion be as lovely as always?  Until now I never had the opportunity to notice how the ingredients interacted with each other.  It truly is skincare alchemy.  I could write a whole story about the creation of each product, every time I make a product I am still amazed by the process. 

This got me thinking about how creating and new beginnings brings new freshness and lightness into the world.  It is the same when I find a new ingredient to work with.

The newest ingredient I started using is an oil called Meadowfoam Oil. 
Meadowfoam Oil is pressed from the seeds of Meadowfoam (Limnanthes alba), a plant which received its name because of its resemblance while in bloom to the white foam blowing on the ocean. Meadowfoam is native to northern California, southern Oregon, Vancouver Island, and British Columbia.


Meadowfoam oil contains over 98% long-chain fatty acids, and also has higher quality triglyceride levels when compared to other vegetable oils. In addition, it has three long chain fatty acids that were previously unknown before its discovery. It also has amazing moisturizing and rejuvenating capabilities, is very stable, and may be utilized for many different purposes. 


When applied to the skin, it forms a moisture barrier and will assist the skin with preventing moisture loss. When added to lotions and lip balms, it will remoisturize dry or cracked lips and skin, and will make balms last longer. In summary, Meadowfoam oil has these beneficial characteristics:


•Moisturizes the skin
•Rejuvenates and adds shine to hair
•Ultra-violet protection (sunscreen applications)
•Non-greasy feeling, soaks into the skin easily
•Reduces wrinkles and signs of aging
•Blends well with other carrier oils
•Very stable, even under heat and air exposure
•Adheres well to the skin
•Binder, helps products retain their scent longer
•Stability extends product shelf life when combined with less stable ingredients

I have recently reformulated the Replenishing Vitamin Cream adding the Meadowfoam Oil to the blend...it has really supercharged this cream to moisturize skin and help reduce the signs of aging.

We are always on the look out for new ingredients to make our products more effective, in this way we have new beginnings and in turn enrich our customer's lives! 

So how did my batch of lotion turn out?  It was fantastic...smooth, creamy and luscious.  My customers loved it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment